Thursday 30 June 2011

Garfish

I decided to try garfish after reading the River Cottage Fish Book. They show up at the Arndale market in Manchester every now and then. They're noted for having luminous green bones that the Japanese fry up as a delicacy.

Here's the whole garfish:


It's luminous green bones while raw:


I cooked it on a bed of potatoes, onion and lemon (page 218 of the book), cooking the fish for about 10 minutes.




I kept the recovered pieces of spine until the next day.


I rubbed the pieces with garlic and coated them in seasoned flour (page 374).


Here they are after frying for 1 minute in very hot sunflower oil:


I had them with the cold leftover spuds as a light lunch.


Garfish flesh is milder than mackerel but not dissimilar. The fried bones are like whitebait or fried fish skin. They crumble in the mouth with no spikiness at all. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment